[mythtv-users] Why did you pick MythTV VS the other PVRs?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Aug 28 18:07:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:28:18AM -0500, Nick F wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 3:36 AM, Tom Sparks<tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> > the reason why I picked MythTV:
> > there is no upperlimit on capture cards, hard drive space
> > I can have as many front ends as I want
> > I can use a web based interface
> >
> > Why did you pick MythTV VS the other PVRs?
>
> The Live 8 concert in July 2005!
>
> My wife commented to me that it would be nice to save a recording of
> the concert given there were such one-off events as Pink Floyd getting
> together.  I was living in the UK at the time and had been thinking

...cool bit. I had forgotten about that. I had high hopes for this idea
initially but initially gave up on it pretty much. I was originally hoping
that I could record stuff off of TV for archival purposes but eventually
was dissatified with the results and decided to just buy DVDs.

    However, there have been a couple of things of an historical nature that
I have recorded and archived and I think having the ability to do this is
really cool and a killer feature.

[deletia]

    Any recording in MythTV is just a regular file that you can copy and
transcode or archive on any platform however you like.

    I have archived stuff related to the Obama election and provided easy
copies of stuff for friends and neighbors including interesting shows and
particular bits from the last Olympics.

    There were some interesting bits from the Millenium celebrations that
I wish I could have archived in a similar manner. The new year in Bethelehem
was especially notable. I wish I had a copy of the CNN coverage of that.