[mythtv-users] ION-based system as combined BE/FE?

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 17:21:58 UTC 2009

> I'm considering building a Myth machine for my parents and am wondering if
> an ION-based system will have sufficient horsepower to act as a combined
> BE/FE machine.  It will need to handle recording and playback of both HD and
> SD content from Direct TV as well as commercial flagging, but transcoding
> will most likely never be used.  I also expect that there will be very
> little, if any, use of any of the plugins (MythMusic, MythVideo, etc).
>
> This system will, at least for now, be effectively a standalone DVR for
> them.  I'm not sure yet how exactly I'll be getting the content into Myth
> (maybe HD-PVR? maybe just analog capture from RF out of STB (yes, I know
> that's not truely HD, but it's pretty good and they won't know the
> difference))
>
> I am aware of all of the arguments against providing Myth machines for those
> who are not able to administer the machines themselves as well as the issues
> associated with trying to get content into a myth system from STB's.  Please
> no comments on that stuff.  I'm just trying to find out if I can reasonably
> use one of the newer ION boards for this and if it will have sufficient
> horsepower to meet their needs assuming I can overcome the other issues.

This was specifically discussed recently. Check the archives. Someone
even reported back details of using one of the Zotac ION boards as a
combined FE/BE and gave it good reviews (if I remember correctly).
They were able to record and playback HD ATSC material without
problems (using VDPAU). Recording doesn't require much CPU, so
assuming you use VDPAU for playback, the main concerns were commercial
flagging and database. I think he was able to comm-flag near real-time
with 1080i ATSC material. With only one or two tuners and only 1 FE I
doubt the database will be a problem. If you do end up using the
HDPVR, then the recordings will be H.264 and will be much more CPU
intensive to decode, so comm-flagging on HD H.264 content may be an
issue.