[mythtv-users] ION-based system as combined BE/FE?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 17:29:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Brad Benson<bbenso1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm considering building a Myth machine for my parents and am wondering if
> an ION-based system will have sufficient horsepower to act as a combined
> BE/FE machine.  It will need to handle recording and playback of both HD and
> SD content from Direct TV as well as commercial flagging, but transcoding
> will most likely never be used.  I also expect that there will be very
> little, if any, use of any of the plugins (MythMusic, MythVideo, etc).
>
> This system will, at least for now, be effectively a standalone DVR for
> them.  I'm not sure yet how exactly I'll be getting the content into Myth
> (maybe HD-PVR? maybe just analog capture from RF out of STB (yes, I know
> that's not truely HD, but it's pretty good and they won't know the
> difference))
>
> I am aware of all of the arguments against providing Myth machines for those
> who are not able to administer the machines themselves as well as the issues
> associated with trying to get content into a myth system from STB's.  Please
> no comments on that stuff.  I'm just trying to find out if I can reasonably
> use one of the newer ION boards for this and if it will have sufficient
> horsepower to meet their needs assuming I can overcome the other issues.

Yes, this will work fine, provided you use VDPAU.

I ran some tests on the single-core Zotac "C" board and found that
commercial flagging of max bitrate 720p recordings from the HD-PVR ran
about 40% real time -- e.g., a 1-hour recording took 2.5 hours for
commflagging to complete.  HD OTA recordings from the HDHR could be
commflagged at 80% real time.  I'm a big fan of these Zotac boards.
You can have a completely silent, low-power (15-20W) frontend for
under $200.

Jim