[mythtv-users] ION-based system as combined BE/FE?

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 16:55:33 UTC 2009

I'm considering building a Myth machine for my parents and am wondering if
an ION-based system will have sufficient horsepower to act as a combined
BE/FE machine.  It will need to handle recording and playback of both HD and
SD content from Direct TV as well as commercial flagging, but transcoding
will most likely never be used.  I also expect that there will be very
little, if any, use of any of the plugins (MythMusic, MythVideo, etc).

This system will, at least for now, be effectively a standalone DVR for
them.  I'm not sure yet how exactly I'll be getting the content into Myth
(maybe HD-PVR? maybe just analog capture from RF out of STB (yes, I know
that's not truely HD, but it's pretty good and they won't know the
difference))

I am aware of all of the arguments against providing Myth machines for those
who are not able to administer the machines themselves as well as the issues
associated with trying to get content into a myth system from STB's.  Please
no comments on that stuff.  I'm just trying to find out if I can reasonably
use one of the newer ION boards for this and if it will have sufficient
horsepower to meet their needs assuming I can overcome the other issues.