[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Vs. PCIe tuner card?

Tom listmail at athenet.net
Wed Aug 12 03:13:07 UTC 2009

At 08:57 PM 8/11/2009 -0400, you wrote:
>Tom wrote:
>>I might use a second NIC and put the HDHomeRun on its own private
>>network, if that would help. Pity it has only the 100mb interface;
>>perhaps there would have been some small performance gain if it were
>>gigabit. I will be using the same box as a back end and front end in one box.
>ATSC is limited to around 19mbps per channel, and QAM around 38mbps.
>Even with multirec, the most you will EVER see is somewhere around
>75mbps.  That's well below the level that any 10/100 equipment should be
>expected to function.  There is no bandwidth issue if the rest of your
>network is gigabit, as switched networks have no trouble handing devices
>at different speeds.
>>Does the HDHomeRun box limit me in some way? I would like to record one
>>or two ATSC OTR programs at once, perhaps while playing back a prior
>>recording. I have no cable or satellite. I'd be recording in SD for now,
>>looking to moving to HD down the road.
>The HDHR functions no different than any other tuner card in mythtv.
>You record to disk, you play back from disk, and the two functions never meet.

Wow, five good solid answers in a very short time, including some HDHR
users and a few who do both. This is a great list. Thanks all. Any further
discussion welcomed.

-Tom

-----
326. [Philosophy] I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs
treat us as equals. --Winston Churchill
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)    WEB: http://www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531