[mythtv-users] Share permissions???

Michael Craven mcraven at zone4solutions.com
Wed Apr 29 04:53:39 UTC 2009

I have my media on a Windows box and the entire RAID array is shared
across my network with the permissions wide open on the host OS. On my
Linux box, I've mounted the share at /mnt/media using the following line
in my /etc/fstab:

//XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/Media             /mnt/media      cifs
username=<user>,password=<password>,uid=495,gid=14      0 0

As far as I know, the permissions are wide open on the linux side too.
When the backend is running, it's able to write the recordings directly
to the share at /mnt/media/Video/MythTV and I've set the video home for
the uPNP server to be at /mnt/media/Video. So far, so good... (according
to me :-))

On my WinXP laptop, I can connect to the Myth uPNP server via XBMC but
it refuses to stream any of the recordings. As I test, I changed the
default storage directory and video home to a local path and copied a
couple of files there manually... back to XBMC and it streams fine. No
matter what user I'm logged in as I never get any permissions errors
moving around the mounted structure and I can freely copy files in and
out.

I'm stumped. Any thoughts? Clearly this is a permissions thing but
everything is wide open, I think. If it's permissions, why can the
backend successfully record there and then the uPNP server refuses to
stream back the same files?!?!?