[mythtv-users] Share permissions???

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Wed Apr 29 17:26:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:53 PM, Michael Craven
<mcraven at zone4solutions.com> wrote:
> I have my media on a Windows box and the entire RAID array is shared across
> my network with the permissions wide open on the host OS. On my Linux box,
> I’ve mounted the share at /mnt/media using the following line in my
> /etc/fstab:
>
> //XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/Media             /mnt/media      cifs
> username=<user>,password=<password>,uid=495,gid=14      0 0
>
> As far as I know, the permissions are wide open on the linux side too. When
> the backend is running, it’s able to write the recordings directly to the
> share at /mnt/media/Video/MythTV and I’ve set the video home for the uPNP
> server to be at /mnt/media/Video. So far, so good… (according to me J)
>
> On my WinXP laptop, I can connect to the Myth uPNP server via XBMC but it
> refuses to stream any of the recordings. As I test, I changed the default
> storage directory and video home to a local path and copied a couple of
> files there manually… back to XBMC and it streams fine. No matter what user
> I’m logged in as I never get any permissions errors moving around the
> mounted structure and I can freely copy files in and out.
>
> I’m stumped. Any thoughts? Clearly this is a permissions thing but
> everything is wide open, I think. If it’s permissions, why can the backend
> successfully record there and then the uPNP server refuses to stream back
> the same files?!?!?

Howdy Michael,

Random thought: Perhaps it isn't the uPNP server?  Have you tried
serving up the content some other way - via Mythweb, or even just
browsing (in Windows file explorer) to the mount point directory on
the Linux box?

After thinking about this a bit more, perhaps this isn't the same
problem I ran into last year.  I have three Windows machines plus my
combined Linux FE/BE with Samba enabled.  Two of those Windows boxes
are able to use Windows file explorer to browse the filesystem of my
backend.  The third one (configured by IT dept at work) won't by
default - it gets access/permission type errors.  At one point, I
figured out some DOS commands so that I could browse it, but it wasn't
intuitive.  Of course, I haven't used that one in forever, and can't
find where I stored what I found.  I remember thinking at first that
it was a windows/samba domain issue, but I brought a different laptop
home and it didn't have any trouble browsing.

Good luck,

   Marc