[mythtv-users] Increase in recorded file sizes

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 21 12:44:33 UTC 2009

Mike Perkins wrote:
>> I've noticed, just lately, that the programs I record on BBC1 are
>> coming out about 50% bigger than they used to be.
>>
>> I'm using standard SD Freeview (DVB-T) in the UK.
>>
>> Normally, ever since I set my myth system up a couple years ago, I've
>> been getting a storage rate of about 2.0-2.2Gb/hour, which makes it
>> reasonably convenient when calculating disk space, etc. The last
>> couple of weeks I have noticed that programs on BBC1 are around 3Gb.
>> BBC2 sizes are somewhere between 2.0 and 3.0Gb on the samples I've
>> looked at. Other channels (that I've got recordings for) seem
>> unaffected.
>>
>> Examples:
>> Ashes to Ashes 1:10 (BBC1) 3Gb
>> Later with Jools 1:15 (BBC2) 2.9Gb
>> Primeval 1:10 (ITV1) 2.1Gb
>> Henry VIII 1:10 (CH4) 2.0Gb
>>
>> Anyone know whether or not someone has upeed the bit rate (or
>> whatever) without me noticing?
>>
> Damn! Remembered something significant. I had one of my three tuners
> fail recently, and reconfigured to take it out - using Mike Dean's
> method, naturally.
>
> When I restarted, I noticed that I now had *four* tuners - without
> ticking any boxes, I now had multirec running on the two remaining
> tuners.
>
> So, this would seem to be an artifact of the multirec code, although
> why it only affects BBC transmissions, I can't imagine.

Actually, I've always had this (for the last year) without and now with
multirec. The BBC streams are higher rates / resolution than some other
channels. If you play the .mpg file with mplayer, it'll tell you the
mitrate, resolution etc. I especially notice that channels like E4
transmit in some odd resolutions like 540x400 etc, depends on the
programme, time of day etc.

Cheers
Gordon