[mythtv-users] Increase in recorded file sizes

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Apr 21 15:09:12 UTC 2009

Gordon McCrae wrote:
> Mike Perkins wrote:
>>> I've noticed, just lately, that the programs I record on BBC1 are
>>> coming out about 50% bigger than they used to be.
>>>
>>> I'm using standard SD Freeview (DVB-T) in the UK.
>>>
>>> Normally, ever since I set my myth system up a couple years ago, I've
>>> been getting a storage rate of about 2.0-2.2Gb/hour, which makes it
>>> reasonably convenient when calculating disk space, etc. The last
>>> couple of weeks I have noticed that programs on BBC1 are around 3Gb.
>>> BBC2 sizes are somewhere between 2.0 and 3.0Gb on the samples I've
>>> looked at. Other channels (that I've got recordings for) seem
>>> unaffected.
>>>
>>> Examples:
>>> Ashes to Ashes 1:10 (BBC1) 3Gb
>>> Later with Jools 1:15 (BBC2) 2.9Gb
>>> Primeval 1:10 (ITV1) 2.1Gb
>>> Henry VIII 1:10 (CH4) 2.0Gb
>>>
>>> Anyone know whether or not someone has upeed the bit rate (or
>>> whatever) without me noticing?
>>>
>> Damn! Remembered something significant. I had one of my three tuners
>> fail recently, and reconfigured to take it out - using Mike Dean's
>> method, naturally.
>>
>> When I restarted, I noticed that I now had *four* tuners - without
>> ticking any boxes, I now had multirec running on the two remaining
>> tuners.
>>
>> So, this would seem to be an artifact of the multirec code, although
>> why it only affects BBC transmissions, I can't imagine.
>>
> Actually, I've always had this (for the last year) without and now with
> multirec. The BBC streams are higher rates / resolution than some other
> channels. If you play the .mpg file with mplayer, it'll tell you the
> mitrate, resolution etc. I especially notice that channels like E4
> transmit in some odd resolutions like 540x400 etc, depends on the
> programme, time of day etc.

I've only noticed this happening the last two weeks. Is it possible for
different transmitters to offer different bit rates? I'm probably grasping at
straws, but I'm trying to figure out what's different.

This only seems to have happened (for me) since the multirec code activated itself.

--

Mike Perkins