[mythtv-users] Increase in recorded file sizes

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Apr 21 11:18:00 UTC 2009

Mike Perkins wrote:
> I've noticed, just lately, that the programs I record on BBC1 are coming
> out about 50% bigger than they used to be.
>
> I'm using standard SD Freeview (DVB-T) in the UK.
>
> Normally, ever since I set my myth system up a couple years ago, I've
> been getting a storage rate of about 2.0-2.2Gb/hour, which makes it
> reasonably convenient when calculating disk space, etc. The last couple
> of weeks I have noticed that programs on BBC1 are around 3Gb. BBC2 sizes
> are somewhere between 2.0 and 3.0Gb on the samples I've looked at. Other
> channels (that I've got recordings for) seem unaffected.
>
> Examples:
> Ashes to Ashes 1:10 (BBC1) 3Gb
> Later with Jools 1:15 (BBC2) 2.9Gb
> Primeval 1:10 (ITV1) 2.1Gb
> Henry VIII 1:10 (CH4) 2.0Gb
>
> Anyone know whether or not someone has upeed the bit rate (or whatever)
> without me noticing?

Damn! Remembered something significant. I had one of my three tuners fail
recently, and reconfigured to take it out - using Mike Dean's method, naturally.

When I restarted, I noticed that I now had *four* tuners - without ticking any
boxes, I now had multirec running on the two remaining tuners.

So, this would seem to be an artifact of the multirec code, although why it only
affects BBC transmissions, I can't imagine.

--

Mike Perkins