[mythtv-users] MythTV Frontend upgrade

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 19:02:59 UTC 2009

I built my recent frontends using the Antec Minuet 350 case
(http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=82766).  The dimensions are:
3.8"(H) x 12.8"(W) x 16.8"(D).  This fits nicely above my sound-system
amplifier...it's a little deep, but fits in my cabinet.

For the rest of the hardware, I went with:
mobo: ASUS M3N78-VM
chip: dual core AMD ... don't remember which one.
ram: Crucial 2GB Kit (2x1) <- Use the extra ram for a ramdisk.
random sata dvd burner.
4GB Thumb drive for main HD

Contrary to the info on the ASUS website, with the newer BIOS you can
set the built-in NVidia 8300 to use 512M of ram, so it should be able
to run VDPAU (*cough* new nvidia drivers, sorry) as necessary...I
haven't tried, though, as I don't have an HD source yet ;-).  I do
know it's perfectly capable of doing sound over HDMI (see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/376358#376358 ).  I
currently have two of these frontends, and will likely be building a
couple more in the next few months they work so well!  With no real
hard-drive, they're dead quiet, and they look reasonable in my stereo
rack.  Great combo!

You can probably get away without using the proprietary drivers, but I
would expect NV to support this card for quite some time, so I'd go
ahead and use them since they're there.  Use the processor to do
something more important, like commercial flagging!  lol.

As far as distribution goes, I chose mythbuntu because I already run
ubuntu on my work machine (was the only distro that supported my vpn
client and my wireless out of the box) and on my eee-pc (actually,
easy-peasy: an ubuntu release specifically designed for netbooks) and
was searching for some consistency in my installs.  Now all my unix
boxen (3 laptops, 2 desktops, 3 frontends, 1 backend) are running
basically the same distro, which makes my life a tad easier.  The
weekly builds of -fixes and -trunk are definitely a plus, as is the
near seamless integration of the repositories into the mainstream
Ubuntu.  It made setting up my desktops and laptops as part-time
frontends a breeze!  I doubt they're unique on either point, but I
must say that this upgrade to mythbuntu was relatively painless.  My
data points span years, and my linux flavor choice is often driven by
outside factors, so it's hard to say if that's a maturity thing or
something special about the distro...

--
Doug