[mythtv-users] MythTV Frontend upgrade

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Apr 18 16:40:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 11:09:54PM -0400, Rich West wrote:
> Does anyone have any recommendations?  Also, frankly, I'm tired of the
> Fedora release cycle.. I don't need it for these frontend-only systems
> and while it tends to fix some things, it also tends to break other
> things (hence, the predicament I am in now). CentOS would be great if it
> has the necessary driver support for current hardware and the repo is
> reliable (I seem to recall ATrpms's once having CentOS as a beta or test
> repo).

ATrpms has been supporting RHEL5/CentOS5/SL5 for quite some time
now. The builds for mythtv and the supporting software are the same as
for Fedora, so you will not find many suprises, and the update
frequency is the same, e.g. if there is a new mythtv rpm release for
Fedora there will also be one for the enterprise siblings.

You will have to check on the hardware support though, an area where
RHEL (and thus CentOS and other clones) have been lacking vendor
support was/is the capture part. In most cases the video4linux kmdls
will help you and offer the hardware support you need, but you better
check beforehand - OTOH if it doesn't work on CentOS5, you can still
go Fedora 11 and wait for CentOS6.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net