[mythtv-users] why you use myth...like myth, or hate Microsoft

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 23:36:28 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 12:15:17PM -0800, Steve Peters - Priority
> Electronics wrote:
> >    1. was it because you heard about myth, so you learned to use linux
> >    so you could run myth,
> >
> >    2. was it because you like linux so you then went and used myth,
> >
> >    3. or was it because you don't like microsoft, so that's why you're
> >    in linux, and hence, why you chose myth?

I started with linux a few years ago as part of another project (me and a
friend of mine were crunching numbers on a crude home-brew 10 node cluster)
using Fedora Core 4.  From that experience, I thought about switching to
Linux for my desktop, but it didn't seem ready yet.  Then, when Vista came
out, I was feeling sick of Windows XP and wanted something new.  A the time,
the reports of Vista's quality were not the best, and the idea of sending
$400 for legal copy of Windows Vista Ultimate was just too much to swallow.
I had recently installed Ubuntu 6.10 on an old PC I had lying around, and
found myself playing with that 90% of the time.  At that point in occurred
to me that I could just install Ubuntu on my main desktop system.  It seemed
things had come a long way since the days of FC4, so I gave it a shot.  I
haven't looked back since.

I first learned of myth while looking for a UPnP server to serve a D-Link
DSM-520.  It kept coming up in searches, though it appeared to be way more
than I wanted. After reading about Myth for awhile, it occurred to me that
for what 1 years worth of digital cable service/box rentals for my two TVs,
etc. I could easily buy the components to build a myth system.  I already
had a Linux file server that I could convert, and an old PVR-250 I bought in
2002 (and hadn't used since 2002 since the bundled software sucked).  I
really didn't consider any other options.

So I guess I got into myth not for anti-Microsoft reasons, and not for
pro-Linux reasons, but really, because I was unhappy with my experience with
Time Warner's Digital Cable.