[mythtv-users] why you use myth...like myth, or hate Microsoft

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Mar 1 22:15:20 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 12:15:17PM -0800, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
>    1. was it because you heard about myth, so you learned to use linux
>    so you could run myth,
>
>    2. was it because you like linux so you then went and used myth,
>
>    3. or was it because you don't like microsoft, so that's why you're
>    in linux, and hence, why you chose myth?

I love Windows -- because the fact that it breaks so frequently keeps
me alive; I make a living off the three-R's of Microsoft:

Reboot, reboot, reinstall.

:-)

But I've been a Unix guy since before Windows existed, and certainly
before it was popular, and in general, I find that a properly tuned
Linux box is *much* more reliable than the equivalent Windows farm

I'm at a client's just now, as it happens, upgrading their server.

Dell 2600.  73G SCSI Raid 1.  Suse 9.0.

Upgrading to 146G Raid 1 and 10.2.

VNC terminals.

In the past three years, this entire company has sucked up *maybe* 30
or 40 hours of admin time.  It's been rebooted no more frequently than
every couple months, if that.

We had one minor problem where either Firefox or Thunderbird (likely
the latter, while rebuilding folder indexes) would go runaway, and make
the box go catatonic... but it had to push this 4-processor machine to
a load average of *53* before it started to die -- I saw a 66 in the
log once as the last entry.

It was reasonably interactive well up into the 30s.

If I multiply the 8 seats times at least one windows reinstall per year
times 3 years... well, if I'm going to work on a machine, I'd prefer it
be fun...

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.