[mythtv-users] HDHomerun signal strength required

Darren Richards darren.richards at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 20:13:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 6:56 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My HDHomerun should be delivered today so I thought I'd ask another
> question to see what everyone else is doing. I have a good but not great
> omni directional antenna in the attic. Since the HDHomerun has two tuners
> I'll have to split the signal connect both inputs. Has this been a problem
> for anyone? I'm not an electronics engineer but I'll basically be splitting
> the signal strength in half, right?
>
> Most of the signals for the stations available to me are coming from the
> same direction within about a 20 degree included angle so I'm assuming if my
> current antenna is not good enough I should probably go with a moderately
> directional antenna.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
>  <http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users>

I've actually got my signal split three ways.  One to each of the tuners on
my hdhomerun, and another going to my TV.  I'm using an old 8' antenna in my
attic I bought at radio shack about 8 years ago.  I have had no problems.  I
get all my local broadcast channels just fine.  All are above 75% signal
strength.  My NBC affiliate is pegged at 100% signal strength.

Of course, this in no way guarantees that you won't have any problems...  I
also hear that signal quality is actually more important than signal
strength, but since I've never had a problem, I've never even tried to
determine what my signal quality is.  The HDHomeRun actually comes with a
cable splitter in the box, so they fully intend on you splitting the signal
to go to each tuner.

-darren