[mythtv-users] 0.00MB recordings...

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 14:40:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 8:42 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> I get this once in a while on my IVTV cards too.  I *think* this is better
> in newer drivers (you might try upgrading them if you feel brave enough).  A
> reboot fixes it.  I set up a simple cron grep job to look for that in
> /var/log/messages and email me when it happens so I can reboot the system.

well, the production box is due to retire as soon as i iron out a
couple kinks in the new box (HD capable, more storage).  so i guess i
can deal with the occasional reboot in the next week or two.

i haven't done the investigation yet, but the new box using the HDHR
was exhibiting similar behavior.  and that box should be very up to
date - MythBuntu 8.10 fresh install.  i'll just have to dig through
the logs on that one next time it happens.

for the most part i s'pose i could have diagnosed my problems on my
own if i had thought to look at the logs before asking for help.
hopefully documenting my ignorance (or laziness) and the following
steps i took will help others to see that the logs really aren't that
scary.  they actually contain all kinds of cool info about what is
going on.  now i just need to find a better log reader than vi...

;)

--
Andrew Close