[mythtv-users] 0.00MB recordings...

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 02:42:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> > this is becoming more and more common for me :(  originally i was
> > seeing this on a new/dev system that i'm setting up running MythBuntu
> > 8.10 and recording with an HDHR.  i figured i had some settings that
> > needed tweaking, and besides, it was only a play system.  but the
> > problem is now happening (frequently) on my production MythBox running
> > Myth .20 on a semi recent version of KnoppMyth.  my production box
> > contains a PVR-250 and a PVR-500 and i'm recording analog (obviously)
> > cable from Wide Open West in the western Chicago suburbs.  my signal
> > strength is fairly good, as far as i can tell.  other recordings that
> > actually record look good, or as good as analog over cable can look.
> > :)  nothing has changed with my production setup (equipment, cabling,
> > service) for at least 6 months.  as far as i've noticed, these 0MB
> > recordings are occurring on all channels and in various timeslots.
> > Monday night (i think it was Mon :) i noticed 'Chuck' and 'NCIS'
> > recording simultaneously and things seemed to be fine.  Tuesday night
> > my wife and i sat down to watch 'NCIS' and it wouldn't start up.
> > viewing my programs in the 'Manage Recordings, Delete Recordings'
> > screen i noticed that both recordings were 0MB; however, Monday night
> > i know they recorded for at least 30 minutes because i noticed they
> > were recording, watched a previously recorded program, and saw that
> > they were still recording when my program was over.
> >
> > any thoughts on what to look for for possible diagnosis?  i have to
> > admit i haven't checked the logs yet...  i'll do that when i get home
> > tonight and report what i find.
>
> ok, logs and stuff.
>
> looks like my production box was last rebooted on Nov 23rd.
>
> --- from /var/log/dmesg ---
> ivtv:  Start initialization, version 1.1.0
>
> no error messages in dmesg.  and it looks like all three tuners were
> detected fine.
>
> looking at the messages log for Dec 15th at 8PM (when 'Chuck' and
> 'NCIS' were being recorded) i see the following (over and over and
> over...):
>
> --- from /var/log/messages ---
> Dec 15 20:09:19 MythBox -- MARK --
> Dec 15 20:09:47 MythBox kernel: ivtv0: All encoder VBI stream buffers
> are full. Dropping data.
> Dec 15 20:09:48 MythBox kernel: ivtv0: Cause: the application is not
> reading fast enough.
>
> although, that says the application isn't reading fast enough, not
> writing...
> ivtv0 would be my PVR-250 which registers as card #0.

I get this once in a while on my IVTV cards too.  I *think* this is better
in newer drivers (you might try upgrading them if you feel brave enough).  A
reboot fixes it.  I set up a simple cron grep job to look for that in
/var/log/messages and email me when it happens so I can reboot the system.

Kevin