[mythtv-users] 2 capture cards: want 1 dedicated to live TV, other to recording

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Wed Dec 17 15:31:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, Jon Bishop wrote:

> complicated. You have 1 setting in mythtv-setup, go to your sources
> section, and pick the higher quality source, and set it's priority to
> a positive number... or set the bttv card to a negative priority...
> then in the general frontend setup, select avoid conflicts from
> livetv, and it will automagically default to that lower priority card
> when you want to watch livetv. This will allow the card to still be

It actually doesn't work quite this way on my system (Mythbuntu
8.10--think this is Myth 0.21). I've assigned the better card priority 1
and left the lesser card's priority at 0. Having done this, I find that
when the "Avoid conflicts between live TV and scheduled shows" option
(under Utilities/Setup > Setup > TV Settings > General) option is ticked,
my machine shows Live TV using the better card. I should mention that I
have not tried this while the machine is doing a scheduled recording. When
I untick that option, on the other hand, my machine _does_ show live TV
using the lesser card.

So, what's up with that? Does this mean that, when I have the option
ticked, my machine will only show live TV using the worse card if there's
a scheduled recording underway? I wouldn't mind that scenario so long as I
could be assured that the machine would _always_ record using the better
card. My experimentation to this point seems to indicate that the way to
get the machine to show live TV using the lesser card is to untick the
"Avoid conflicts between live TV and scheduled shows" option. But I have
yet to see what the machine will do when a scheduled recording is taking
place with that option unticked.

James