[mythtv-users] Can the Windows MythTV project use PureVideo?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Dec 2 04:43:01 UTC 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 8:22 PM, Jonny B wrote:

>>> I have a question about the Windows MythTV project: would it
>>> be possible for this project to somehow make use of nvidia's
>>> PureVideo?  If possible, that could dramatically lower the
>>> CPU requirements for playing H.264 videos.
>>
>> Please use gossamer to look at the recent threads concerning nVidia's
>> new VDPAU support in Linux. The code is currently in trunk and will
>> be
>> available for use in the next release (no one knows when that will be
>> so don't ask - you can use the unstable version today if you like).
>> Using this for playback, my AMD 64 X2 4200+ processor sits at around
>> 5% when playing back h.264 content.
>
> Brad-
>
> it doesn't seem your answer relates to his question. While there has
> been a lot of talk about the VDPAU support in LINUX, this guy here,
> he's asking about the VDPAU support carrying over to WINDOWS. I
> haven't seen ANY talk of this yet, though I may have missed it.
>
> There is a response in regards to MythPlayer for windows planning
> directx support, but that doesn't sound like the MythTV windows port
> that OP is talking about either.

I was addressing the source of the problem, not the question it led
to. Lowering CPU requirements. I am currently running VDPAU code on my
production system and I'm quite happy with it, so calling it "very
preliminary  -- basically conceptual" is not accurate. As soon at the
OSD is working correctly, it meets all my requirements and I would
consider it done.

Back to the topic at hand - lowering CPU requirements for h.264
content. Right now, the answer is VDPAU. I would say Windows support
in MythTV is even more preliminary (since I often see messages about
how broken it is - I don't know for sure since I don't use it). You
would certainly wait longer for PureVideo Windows support in MythTV
than VDPAU support in linux - again - available today.

-Brad