[mythtv-users] Can the Windows MythTV project use PureVideo?

Jonny B jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 05:06:33 UTC 2008

>> it doesn't seem your answer relates to his question. While there has
>> been a lot of talk about the VDPAU support in LINUX, this guy here,
>> he's asking about the VDPAU support carrying over to WINDOWS. I
>> haven't seen ANY talk of this yet, though I may have missed it.
>>
>> There is a response in regards to MythPlayer for windows planning
>> directx support, but that doesn't sound like the MythTV windows port
>> that OP is talking about either.
>
> I was addressing the source of the problem, not the question it led
> to. Lowering CPU requirements. I am currently running VDPAU code on my
> production system and I'm quite happy with it, so calling it "very
> preliminary  -- basically conceptual" is not accurate. As soon at the
> OSD is working correctly, it meets all my requirements and I would
> consider it done.
>
> Back to the topic at hand - lowering CPU requirements for h.264
> content. Right now, the answer is VDPAU. I would say Windows support
> in MythTV is even more preliminary (since I often see messages about
> how broken it is - I don't know for sure since I don't use it). You
> would certainly wait longer for PureVideo Windows support in MythTV
> than VDPAU support in linux - again - available today.

Which leads me to ask the OP. Do you have any reason for wanting to
use the windows version of Myth? I know that for my friend, his
imminent fear of Linux is what's keeping him from using MythTV. Unless
you have to have windows on this system, I would suggest using the
linux distro of your choice, and not even muddle in the windows port -
unless you can help code and stabilize it. If you have to have windows
on this system, I wonder what kind of dedicated backend it would
really be. Of course, if you're just looking for a frontend, that's a
different story... there's the MythPlayer (previously mentioned, with
directx support coming...) or you could find a uPNP client for
windows. I believe XBMC runs on windows now... might try that.

~Jon