[mythtv-users] Directv vs Dish

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Sat Apr 26 00:44:32 UTC 2008

Steve Heistand wrote:
> and what options did you find for either directv or dish in terms of ways
> of getting their HD signal into a mythtv box?
> HD on firewire perhaps?
> this is the main reason I still have craptastic HD from comcast
> as their dvr boxes output all channels over firewire and can
> use my myth box.
>

> "Why is it so hot inside this handbasket?"
> --
> Steve Heistand
> steve at heistand.org

Just s-video.

But,

1. The DirecTV MPEG4 HD channels are better quality than their SD
channels - less compression, better color, etc.  There was a noticeable
improvement in SD picture quality over my previous SD-only DirecTV box.
2. I can capture the HD programs in widescreen over s-video, which
matches my 16:9 TV.

So, one receiver sits in the basement next to my myth backend, and the
other two are hooked up to the two TVs I have in the house.

I'm keeping an eye on the Hauppauge HD PVR, as I may eventually switch
to using this for capture.