[mythtv-users] Directv vs Dish

David George david at thegeorges.us
Wed Apr 9 04:53:45 UTC 2008

On 04/09/2008 12:01 AM, Conrad wrote:
> Which of the two satellite services is more myth-friendly?

Depends on what you mean by more "myth-friendly".  I have DirecTV and it
works great for me.  I use RS-232 for channel changes so I don't have to
mess with an IR blaster.  If you are looking to use an R5000 enhanced
box, Dish is a better option because they support the MPEG4 channels.
With DirecTV you will only get the MPEG2 channels (which includes only a
few HD channels like TNT, HDNET, ESPN, and NYC and LA locals).  Most of
DirecTV's new HD channels are MPEG4.

Also I've heard the new DirecTV MPEG4 HR20 DVR supports UPNP so may be
able to be used as a frontend (doesn't run mythfrontend of course).  I
don't have one yet (because DirecTV doesn't have HD locals in my area),
but I am looking at possibly finally changing out my 240 hour DirecTivo
(now my wife's) that has been running for years (along side my myth box
of course).

You don't mention if you are interested in SD or HD.  Both Dish and
DirecTV are good choices.  If you want HD though you will need some type
of component capture device as satellite receivers do not have
firewire[1] and are not required to.  I switched to satellite a long
time ago, as cable quality is horrible around here (at least my cable
modem works well).

[1] Actually there were some old DirecTV receivers with firewire, but I
haven't seen any since DirecTV added the 72.5 satellite and required the
APG for getting locals in a lot of areas (including mine).  Also, don't
know if it only supported channel changing or if you could connect to a
firewire-enabled television for viewing.

--
David