[mythtv-users] Directv vs Dish

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Apr 25 15:13:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 07:30:30AM -0700, Steve Heistand wrote:
> and what options did you find for either directv or dish in terms of ways
> of getting their HD signal into a mythtv box?
> HD on firewire perhaps?
> this is the main reason I still have craptastic HD from comcast
> as their dvr boxes output all channels over firewire and can
> use my myth box.

    I dunno. If I can do inverse-letterboxing at full 720x480
with a crystal clear signal, I might not be so fixated on whether
or not I can get an HD signal of any sort. Since it's "just TV"
I am not sure I want to spend the cost in terms of disk space to
record some stuff.

    I'm already seeing that now with my OTA stuff. I see what kind
of space it takes and sure some of the video quality is impressive
but I am still not sure it's worth it.

    Something that is at the high end of DVD quality, with a good
transfer, will compress quite nicely (h264) with a quality loss I
can tolerate and that no one else in my household would percieve.

    Something like the HD-PVR I would be inclined to get as much for
the realtime h264 encoding as for the access to HD signals.

    I have problems with compressing my current DirecTV SD signal
because it is a crap signal and crap signal just gets magnified
anytime you try to transcode it. They overcompress and it shows.

[deletia]