[mythtv-users] unlikely idea (QAM output)

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Wed Apr 9 15:24:16 UTC 2008

Not all, but most HDTVs have QAM tuners and MPEG2 decoders built
into them.

Is there a consumer or semi-pro box that can take an MPEG2 TS from
PCI, USB, FireWire or ethernet and put it into QAM64 or QAM256
format to go across a short coax run to an HDTV?

Obviously the chips must exist; all the DOCSIS cable modems use
QAM encoding for the uplink (as well as downlink) portions.

The advantage for MythTV owners is an HD display connection that
might impose less CPU and graphics-card demand -- best case
scenario, it might be possible to do 1080P playback from a
very low powered device. Constructing OSD might be a problem.

I'm going to guess that the answer to this is that there aren't any
such devices available for less than $bigbucks, since they are
only considered to be of use to TV stations. But I'd be pleased
to find out otherwise.

-dsr-

--
Restore our Constitutional rights.