[mythtv-users] unlikely idea (QAM output)

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Apr 9 15:41:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 11:24 -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> Not all, but most HDTVs have QAM tuners and MPEG2 decoders built
> into them.
>
> Is there a consumer or semi-pro box that can take an MPEG2 TS from
> PCI, USB, FireWire or ethernet and put it into QAM64 or QAM256
> format to go across a short coax run to an HDTV?
>
> Obviously the chips must exist; all the DOCSIS cable modems use
> QAM encoding for the uplink (as well as downlink) portions.
>
> The advantage for MythTV owners is an HD display connection that
> might impose less CPU and graphics-card demand -- best case
> scenario, it might be possible to do 1080P playback from a
> very low powered device. Constructing OSD might be a problem.
>
> I'm going to guess that the answer to this is that there aren't any
> such devices available for less than $bigbucks, since they are
> only considered to be of use to TV stations. But I'd be pleased
> to find out otherwise.

Only DOCSIS 2.0 specifies that QAM-64 be available for uplink.

Anyway, here you go:
   http://www.advanceddigital.ca/products/dvb/tvb590.php

This one has a bunch of different modulations, they also have
ones that only do one set of modulations. These are all "Request
a quote" priced, so they might be a bit pricey.

-- Daniel