[mythtv-users] Ready to try for Dolby Digital again....

Darren Richards darren.richards at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 13:55:10 UTC 2007

On 10/24/07, Greg Arena <gma at gmadigitaldesign.com> wrote:

> I was in this boat not too long ago. After posting a similar
> question here, I ended up doing the following:
>
> 1. I bought a Turtle Beach Riviera card for the Dolby Digital
> out. This has stable Linux support (the snd_cmipci ALSA driver
> handles it), and it comes with a SPDIF optical output. I assume
> there's something out there that could convert this into a
> coaxial output if you needed it. The card costs only $30 and
> requires a conventional PCI slot.
>
> 2. Use MythDora 4.0 to set up a clean Myth installation if you
> can. In the process of trying to get Dolby Digital working first
> using my motherboard's built-in audio and second using a Sound
> Blaster Audigy 4 (I later found out Linux doesn't support this
> function on this card so now I've got to sell it on eBay), I must
> have fouled up the ALSA configuration to the point where it just
> wouldn't send the Dolby Digital through the Turtle Beach card no
> matter what I did. At least with MythDora, it had a known good
> mix of packages.
>
> Since doing these two things, I have Dolby Digital and DTS
> pass-through working fine. I had to change a setting in alsamixer
> to activate the SPDIF output port on the card and change a few of
> the audio settings in the frontend setup, but there was no
> fiddling beyond that. I get the Dolby 5.1 audio on HDTV
> programming, and Dolby/DTS soundtracks play back fine from DVD's.
> But in my case, I was fortunate that I did this before I had gone
> too far with building up a library of recordings, videos, and
> other stuff.

I'm also using a Turtle Beach Riviera.  I had it working back with version
0.17, but I had to do tweaking with .asoundrc files and such.  I went the
MythDora 4.0 route when I upgraded recently, and it was exactly as Greg
described.  I set a few frontend settings in the mythtv general menu,
un-muted iec958 in alsamixer, and that's it. Works right out of the box.

-darren