[mythtv-users] Ready to try for Dolby Digital again....

Greg Arena gma at gmadigitaldesign.com
Wed Oct 24 13:05:43 UTC 2007

I was in this boat not too long ago. After posting a similar
question here, I ended up doing the following:

1. I bought a Turtle Beach Riviera card for the Dolby Digital
out. This has stable Linux support (the snd_cmipci ALSA driver
handles it), and it comes with a SPDIF optical output. I assume
there's something out there that could convert this into a
coaxial output if you needed it. The card costs only $30 and
requires a conventional PCI slot.

2. Use MythDora 4.0 to set up a clean Myth installation if you
can. In the process of trying to get Dolby Digital working first
using my motherboard's built-in audio and second using a Sound
Blaster Audigy 4 (I later found out Linux doesn't support this
function on this card so now I've got to sell it on eBay), I must
have fouled up the ALSA configuration to the point where it just
wouldn't send the Dolby Digital through the Turtle Beach card no
matter what I did. At least with MythDora, it had a known good
mix of packages.

Since doing these two things, I have Dolby Digital and DTS
pass-through working fine. I had to change a setting in alsamixer
to activate the SPDIF output port on the card and change a few of
the audio settings in the frontend setup, but there was no
fiddling beyond that. I get the Dolby 5.1 audio on HDTV
programming, and Dolby/DTS soundtracks play back fine from DVD's.
But in my case, I was fortunate that I did this before I had gone
too far with building up a library of recordings, videos, and
other stuff.