[mythtv-users] Software Update always results in X not starting

MythTV MythTV at assuredsolutions.com
Fri Oct 12 05:57:12 UTC 2007

On Sep 17, 2007, at 1:27 AM, gaberubin wrote:

> sounds like you need to install the kernel module; assuming you have
> set up KVER to be = 'uname -r' (and if you haven't, see Jarod's guide
> for how to do so):
> yum install nvidia-graphics9746-kmdl-$KVER

I actually had tried this in the way past with no luck.  However,
it's an excellent suggestion to try on this new kernel:
# echo $KVER
2.6.22.5-49.fc6
# yum -y install nvidia-graphics9746-kmdl-$KVER
Yum reports that no updates are needed.  So I try Jarod's variation
on the command:
# yum -y install nvidia-graphics9746-kmdl-$KVER nvidia-graphics9746
The kernel 2.6.22.1 gets downloaded, tries to install, but fails.  (I
have no idea where this came from...)

I have never tried to update other modules such as alsa, ivtv, or
lirc.  Should I?

Any more suggestions?

Rob
My configuration is:
MythTV version: 0.20.20070821-1.
Installed in December 2006 on Fedora Core 6 following Jerod's guide.
Kernel version: 2.6.20-1.2944.fc6.i686
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz Socket 775 800 FSB w/Hyper Threading
Technology
Memory: 1Gig DDR 333 Memory 180 Pin
Motherboard: ASRock 775i65G Mother Board
Optical Drive: LG 18X DVD RW + Dual Layer
Hard Drive: 2 Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA in a
LVD 450 Gig volume
Video onboard: Integrated SiS Ultra256 2D/3D Graphics
Video card: Micro-star International (MSI) AGP GeForce FX5200-
TD128LF, 8X, 128M, DDR1, D-Sub, DVI-D, TV-out
Audio onboard: AUDIO ADI AD1888 6-channel audio CODEC
Audio card: Riviera C-Media CMI 8738 (Connected to my entertainment
center via the optical cable)
Network Card: Onboard 10/100 Network Card
Tuner card: pcHDTV HD-5500