[mythtv-users] Software Update always results in X not starting

Mike LaPlante mike at dividia.net
Fri Oct 12 13:10:13 UTC 2007

MythTV wrote:
> On Sep 17, 2007, at 1:27 AM, gaberubin wrote:
>

>> sounds like you need to install the kernel module; assuming you have
>> set up KVER to be = 'uname -r' (and if you haven't, see Jarod's guide
>> for how to do so):
>> yum install nvidia-graphics9746-kmdl-$KVER
>>

> I actually had tried this in the way past with no luck.  However,
> it's an excellent suggestion to try on this new kernel:
> # echo $KVER
> 2.6.22.5-49.fc6
> # yum -y install nvidia-graphics9746-kmdl-$KVER
> Yum reports that no updates are needed.  So I try Jarod's variation
> on the command:
> # yum -y install nvidia-graphics9746-kmdl-$KVER nvidia-graphics9746
> The kernel 2.6.22.1 gets downloaded, tries to install, but fails.  (I
> have no idea where this came from...)
>
> I have never tried to update other modules such as alsa, ivtv, or
> lirc.  Should I?
>
> Any more suggestions?

I ran into nvidia problems after an update a while back. I don't
remember what the exact symptoms were, but I remember finding out that I
had 8 or 9 different nvidia packages installed which seemed like way too
many. I'm sure most were for older kernels so here's what I did:

yum remove `rpm -qa | grep nvidia` (those are backticks)
yum install nvidia-graphics9746-kmdl-`uname -r` (again backticks)

Granted this approach will make your old kernels not be able to start x
with the nvidia module. But it should get your new one up and running.
Oh and you would need to be running the new kernel when you did the yum
install. Warning this method worked for me but I take no responsibility
if you're system catches on fire. :-P

As for alsa, ivtv, and lirc. If you're running 2.6.22 I don't think you
need ivtv modules any more, same goes for alsa I believe thats all in
the kernel now. Unless you're using more recent versions than whats
packed with the kernel. And if you lirc is working then I'm guessing its
being updated when you run yum update.

Mike