[mythtv-users] Performance [was :huge recorded seek table?]

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Mon Oct 1 15:35:47 UTC 2007

Anduin Withers wrote:
>> I'm leaning towards upgrading the backend system to help improve
>> performance.  I was looking at the DB because it was taking several
>> seconds to bring up the recordings page, and, in some cases, it would
>> take 15 seconds (or more) to navigate through the recordings.
>>

> If you can live without video/picture preview that should speed navigation.
> Presumably, there is some point when all recorders are idle and you have
> commflagged everything, is it significantly faster then?

When things are idle, yes, it the frontend systems work smoother.  I
haven't tried disabling the preview yet.. the other half immediatly shot
down my attempt to turn it off since one of our DirecTV boxes randomly
decides to lose signal until it gets a hard reset and she uses the
preview to see if it is recording just a black screen.

I usually notice it when bringing up the kids recordings list (350 shows
and growing.. I have to do something about that).

I'm wondering if it is time to upgrade the system with a dual-core
processor (benefits there would be the ability to record multiple shows
and one commflag with ease) and upgrade the recordings filesystem to
SATA (currently have it striped across two PATA drives).

-Rich