[mythtv-users] I may have SOLVED the 5C cable encryption - DOH!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 10 16:21:02 UTC 2007

On 05/10/2007 10:27 AM, Asher wrote:
> On 5/10/07, Joe Borne <joe.borne at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A good case in point is the fact that my "Big 3" channels (ABC/NBC/CBS) are
>> the ones 5C encrypted on my cable.
>>
> <snip>
>
> This is illegal under 47 C.F.R. 76.640(b)(4)(iii), which requires high
> definition set-top boxes to comply with "ANSI/SCTE 26 2001 Home
> Digital Network Interface Specification with Copy Protection"

Wouldn't it only be illegal if the analog standard-definition versions
of these were also encrypted?  I'm pretty sure they're legally allowed
to encrypt all digital signals, and though many--including the EFF--are
trying to get the FCC to expand the rules preventing encryption of
analog rebroadcast of analog OTA to include digital rebroadcast of
digital OTA signals, the FCC has not yet done so.

As far as the STB goes, it must have the interface, but the reg doesn't
say it must pass only unencrypted data through it.  I see this as two
unrelated requirements, but then again, I'm not a lawyer.

Mike