[mythtv-users] I may have SOLVED the 5C cable encryption - DOH!

Asher freedenizen at gmail.com
Thu May 10 14:27:12 UTC 2007

On 5/10/07, Joe Borne <joe.borne at gmail.com> wrote:
> A good case in point is the fact that my "Big 3" channels (ABC/NBC/CBS) are
> the ones 5C encrypted on my cable.
<snip>

This is illegal under 47 C.F.R. 76.640(b)(4)(iii), which requires high
definition set-top boxes to comply with "ANSI/SCTE 26 2001 Home
Digital Network Interface Specification with Copy Protection"

I've been working with James Snider of the 1394 trade association and
Derek Slater from EFF on this.  FOX and CBS have 5C turned on for
comcast here, I filed an informal complaint with the FCC.  Comcast in
their response stated that I am trying to expand the FCC mandate
(which is false see above), and that they do not control 5C on their
network.