[mythtv-users] I may have SOLVED the 5C cable encryption - DOH!

Asher freedenizen at gmail.com
Thu May 10 16:37:38 UTC 2007

On 5/10/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> Wouldn't it only be illegal if the analog standard-definition versions
> of these were also encrypted?  I'm pretty sure they're legally allowed
> to encrypt all digital signals, and though many--including the EFF--are
> trying to get the FCC to expand the rules preventing encryption of
> analog rebroadcast of analog OTA to include digital rebroadcast of
> digital OTA signals, the FCC has not yet done so.
>
> As far as the STB goes, it must have the interface, but the reg doesn't
> say it must pass only unencrypted data through it.  I see this as two
> unrelated requirements, but then again, I'm not a lawyer.
>
> Mike

IANAL but from what I understand you are correct, but I think there is
an existing requirement that analog broadcast of free ota channels in
the area be unencrypted.

There are 2 requirements, the first is that all STBs have a working
firewire port that passes unencrypted data through it and meets
various requirements of the ANSI/SCTE standard.
The second is that they must send free OTA channels without
encryption.  Maybe I'm wrong on that point but from what I have read
that is true, and that is the opinion of the 1394TA as well.