[mythtv-users] Small, low cost MythTV clients...

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Tue May 1 15:03:30 UTC 2007

I have one of these boxes.  While it works gread as a UPnP client, it would
be great to have it work as a real myth frontend.

The box is totally silent (no fan, no disk) and I was impressed when I
plugged it in to my network, and before I had the chance to hit the setup
button on the remote, it showed my mythbox as a UPnP server.  It plays both
standard def and high def recordings.  I've not hooked up the optical SPDIF
connector to my amp, so I can't be sure how well that works, but I assume it
does.

Myth's UPnP server doesn't seem to allow access to my video files (only
recordings) so I installed wizd as a UPnP server for my video and music
collection.  This works ok as well, but I have not been able to get full ISO
playback.  I can play back individual titles, but not the menus.

The worst part about the box is the navigation capabilities.  I am so used
to the myth user interface that some of the navigation is clumsy at best.
Everything seems to navigate in terms of percentages instead of time (hit
the right arrow go forward 1%, hit 8, go to 80% of the way through the
file).

Also as someone stated, there is no digital video out, but I have hooked the
component outpu up to my HDTV and HD content looks very good that way.

Inside the box there is an 8621L from Sigma Designs, 4 Meg of Flash, 64 Meg
of RAM (I think), a Realtek ethernet chip,  a VIA USB controller, and a mini
PCI slot (for the wireless card that they sell for another 30 bucks).  There
are empty targets for an IDE connector and disk drive power connecter, as
well a few other connectors that aren't obvious to me.