[mythtv-users] Small, low cost MythTV clients...

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Tue May 1 15:33:33 UTC 2007

At 10:03 AM -0500 5/1/07, Ozzy Lash wrote:
>I have one of these boxes.  While it works gread as a UPnP client, ...

I'm especially interested in HDTV playback via this kind of device.  If you don't mind:

-how does it handle fast forward and rewind?
-is there a (say 30 second) commercial skip function?
-is there a way to resume playing a file from when you last stopped (aka bookmark)?

I have a Zensonic Z500 (Ziova Corp) which does none of the above well.  (BTW, I am not using it with a MythTV system at this point.)  FFW, for example, does not go at anywhere near the rated speeds.  FFW at 8X for 1 minute does not advance 8 minutes--more like 2-4 minutes.  Also, after FFW at 16X or 32X the player usually cannot resume playing.  After hitting Play, the video sits frozen with no audio.  I have to hit 2X FFW or 2X REW and usually the player will resume playing.

The developers claim all the problems arise from the Sigma SDK they are using.  They say they are writing their own player code and that it will fix all problems.

Despite this, it works very well for simple playback.  I capture ATSC transport streams and serve them via TwonkyMedia UPNP server.  Picture and  digital sound are indistinguishable from the live broadcast.

Craig