[mythtv-users] Small, low cost MythTV clients...

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Tue May 1 16:29:25 UTC 2007

On 5/1/07, Jason Sullivan <jason0x21 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/1/07, Todd Ignasiak <ignasiak at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have seen mentions of several other UPnP clients being used with
> > MythTV, but no detailed information.  What would be useful is a Wiki
> > page detailing UPnP clients with details about how well they work with
> > MythTV and perform other common functions like DVD playback, JPEG
> > picture viewing, music playback, etc.   As people try devices like
> > this one, they can fill in the details about if it works with MythTV,
> > and how well it works.
>
> You mean like this one?
>
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/UPnP

No, not really.   That's the only page I had found on the Wiki, and I
was looking for a bit more detail on how each device worked with
MythTV.   Maybe they all work equally well, and interact the same
way.. but I doubt it.

For example, here is the full descriptions of the UPnP client hardware
on that page:

    *  D-Link DSM-520, MediaLounge Wireless HD Media Player.
    * Denon AVR-4306, 7.1 Home Theater MultiMedia A/V Receiver
(music/audio only!), (stand-alone hardware player).
    * I-O DATA LinkPlayer2, A High Def capable DVD player, supports
WMV and DivX as well as MPEG2 formats.
    * Buffalo PC-P3LWG/DVD Buffalo LinkTheater High-Definition
Wireless Media Player.

Not a whole lot of detail there..     I think a table with some items
like the following would be helpful:

- Supports SD / HD MPEG2 Video from MythTV
- Supports SD / HD H.264 Video from MythTV
-    Quality Ratings for Video playback;  audio-sync, smooth video,
problems over longer periods
- Displays Photos from Myth (any special features or limitations,
audio during slideshows?)
- Plays Music from Myth (MP3, AAC, OGG, FLAC, etc.)

And even some info about how it interacts with other devices would be
helpful in comparing..

- Plays DVDs or VOBs streamed from PC
- Works with other Picture mgmnt apps (Adobe Photo Album, iPhoto, etc.)
- Works with Audio mgmnt apps (iTunes, Windows Media, etc.)

Also, some screenshots or even a screencast, or how MythTV interacts
with a UPnP frontend would be great.   I have seen some complaints
about how the UPnP devices show lists of content from MythTV.  Maybe
some do a better job than others.   But, just showing a few
screenshots would give people a better idea of what to expect, and
help with deciding whether to build a full MythTV frontend, or go with
a UPnP device.