[mythtv-users] DVD copy protection issue?

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Dec 27 15:02:29 UTC 2007

> On 27/12/2007, Al McIntosh <junkmail at allanmcintosh.com> wrote:
>> I recently attempted to watch a DVD where xine, mplayer and internal
>> player all crashed at the same point in play back, an hour or so into
>> the movie. I figured the DVD was scratched and unplayable.
>> Until, today I had the same problem with a second movie and am starting
>> to wonder if it's an issue with copy protection. Only the computer
>> appears to have a problem playing it back.
>> I tried cleaning the DVDs which did not make a difference.
>>
>> xine exits with the following error:
>> CRC check failed! a52: error at resampling

    I got just this error on a bad copy of Harry Potter 5. You
could probably have copied this disk with vobcopy and seen where
the damage was. Bad dual layer transition may be the culprit (like
the other guy said).

    On the rippers it will either show up as a garbled scene or
a completely missing scene (depending on the particular ripper).

    If it's a genuine disk level error, the windows rippers will
choke on it. The entire bad vob file that's generating that CRC
check error will be inaccessable.

> If you play the DVD and select a different audio track, do you see the
> same crashing behaviour?
[deletia]