[mythtv-users] DVD copy protection issue?

Cymen Vig cymenvig at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 02:57:03 UTC 2007

On Dec 26, 2007 6:09 PM, Al McIntosh <junkmail at allanmcintosh.com> wrote:
> I recently attempted to watch a DVD where xine, mplayer and internal
> player all crashed at the same point in play back, an hour or so into
> the movie. I figured the DVD was scratched and unplayable.
> Until, today I had the same problem with a second movie and am starting
> to wonder if it's an issue with copy protection. Only the computer
> appears to have a problem playing it back.
> I tried cleaning the DVDs which did not make a difference.
>
> xine exits with the following error:
> CRC check failed! a52: error at resampling
>

> Has anyone run into this?  We like watching DVDs within keeps everything
> simple rather than having to switch the TV and Receiver to the DVD
> Player and so forth.  sigh.

Have you tried a different DVD drive or updating the drive firmware
(or putting it on a Windows PC and trying to replicate the problem)?
If it is a dual-layer DVD the problem may be the drive not handling
the layer change gracefully. I'd either try to replicate it on a
Windows PC to confirm or buy another DVD drive for $30.