[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu vs Mythdora for Hauppauge PVR350+150 system

Fred Firestine ffluvssg1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 18:34:52 UTC 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 11:17 AM, Sean McLachlan <sean at lithoflexo.com> wrote:
> Fred Firestine wrote:
> > Could you provide me some pros/cons of each package? Is there an
> > upgrade path to FC7 with Mythdora? How well would Mythbuntu
> > recognize/configure my IR Blaster, two capture cards and the TV Out?
> >
> I have used Mythdora for all of 3 months now, so I'm far from an
> authoritative source.  However, I can say this.  It works best when you
> leave it alone.  I have a basic setup, front and backend on the same PC,
> one pvr-150 and an nvidia card.  Mythdora supports a mutiple tuners and
> the 350 using tv out right out of the box.  Setting up the IR blaser is
> a yes/no question and it's done.
>
> The mythdora guys have tried to "appliance-ize" a mythbox, and I think
> they did a pretty great job.  Download the ISO, and try it.  Accept all
> the defaults.  If you have some major issue right off the bat, though,
> move on to another.
>
> The first couple times I installed I made tweaks to the setup as it
> went, and then did more fiddling before I even hooked it up to my TV.
> The last time I set it up, I had it hooked up to the TV only, and took
> the default everything.  I was watching TV inside of 15 minutes after
> the install completed.  It's has been rock stable, and the picture
> quality is better than the previous installs.  No tearing, DVDs worked
> first time, mythgame worked, etc.
> One caveat, the ISO I grabbed a few months ago needed to have myth
> updated to use schedules direct.  I don't know if that has been updated
> or not.  If not, it's a simple Yum update, and the directions are on the
> g-ding.tv website.
>
> --
> Sean McLachlan

Sean, you're making a strong case for Mythdora, and that would be my
inclination given that I am so familiar with Jarod's work already.
It's good to hear that it could potentially be such an easy setup.
Still looking for info about support for FC7, FC8, whatever, because I
know FC6 support is waning. That's part of the problem I had trying to
add an IR blaster, that I couldn't find packages I needed for my FC6
kernel.

Thanks,

Fred