[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu vs Mythdora for Hauppauge PVR350+150 system

Sean McLachlan sean at lithoflexo.com
Thu Dec 6 16:17:08 UTC 2007

Fred Firestine wrote:
> Could you provide me some pros/cons of each package? Is there an
> upgrade path to FC7 with Mythdora? How well would Mythbuntu
> recognize/configure my IR Blaster, two capture cards and the TV Out?

I have used Mythdora for all of 3 months now, so I'm far from an
authoritative source.  However, I can say this.  It works best when you
leave it alone.  I have a basic setup, front and backend on the same PC,
one pvr-150 and an nvidia card.  Mythdora supports a mutiple tuners and
the 350 using tv out right out of the box.  Setting up the IR blaser is
a yes/no question and it's done.

The mythdora guys have tried to "appliance-ize" a mythbox, and I think
they did a pretty great job.  Download the ISO, and try it.  Accept all
the defaults.  If you have some major issue right off the bat, though,
move on to another.

The first couple times I installed I made tweaks to the setup as it
went, and then did more fiddling before I even hooked it up to my TV.
The last time I set it up, I had it hooked up to the TV only, and took
the default everything.  I was watching TV inside of 15 minutes after
the install completed.  It's has been rock stable, and the picture
quality is better than the previous installs.  No tearing, DVDs worked
first time, mythgame worked, etc.
One caveat, the ISO I grabbed a few months ago needed to have myth
updated to use schedules direct.  I don't know if that has been updated
or not.  If not, it's a simple Yum update, and the directions are on the
g-ding.tv website.

--
Sean McLachlan