[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - Keyboards

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 30 04:24:12 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> Damian Surr wrote:
>> Maybe I'm just been paranoid. I'm sure a wireless keyboard would produce
>> much less poison into the air waves than something like a mobile phone.
>
> Mobile phones can produce up to 5 watts, if I remember right.  Most
> wireless keyboards are putting out much less than one watt, and most
> transmit only when a key is pressed.  That's about as minimal an amount
> of RF exposure as you're going to get from a wireless device.

"Full Power" analog cell phones are rated at 3 watts output. Digital
phones typically put out 100 milliwatts or less (the receiving site
sends a signal to the phone telling it to reduce output power until the
site has just enough signal).

A wireless device operating under FCC part 15 authority can put out no
more than 100 milliwatts, and typically they emit less than that.

So the actual power levels of a modern digital phone and a KB are very
close, at least the same order of magnitude, but, as was pointed out,
the KB only emits for a very brief time with each keypress, while the
phone transmits more or less continuously.