[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - Keyboards

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Apr 30 04:33:48 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> "Full Power" analog cell phones are rated at 3 watts output. Digital
> phones typically put out 100 milliwatts or less (the receiving site
> sends a signal to the phone telling it to reduce output power until the
> site has just enough signal).

That explains why phones drain their batteries so much faster in analog
mode.

I think when I said 5 watts I was probably thinking of the limits for
amateur band walkie-talkies, which can't put out more than 5 watts at
the antenna terminals under FCC rules.

> A wireless device operating under FCC part 15 authority can put out no
> more than 100 milliwatts, and typically they emit less than that.

I imagine the incentive is to use as little power as possible to get a
reasonable range, to maximize battery life.