[mythtv-users] Minor scheduling issue related to tuners

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 30 16:41:12 UTC 2006

On 09/30/06 11:10, Mario Limonciello wrote:

> Currently I have 3 tuners for my mythtv setup - a PVR 500 & a Air2PC
> HD5000.  The PVR-500 is hooked up to a digital cable box for one input
> and analog cable for the other input.  I've been recording several
> shows in HD on the HD5000, and been enjoying the supreme quality.  Now
> the minor issue coming up is that starting this upcoming week, LOST &
> House come up at the same time in HD.
>
> I do have a firewire output available on this cable box.  Through this
> input, I can receive any analog channels as well as any HD broadcast
> channels, but nothing digital elsewise.  I'm reluctant to set it up as
> a recording source to record these HD stations in case for some reason
> the "digital cable input" of the PVR500 and the firewire output of the
> cable box end up running into something they both want to record at
> the same time.
>
> Could someone think of some means to merge these together - perhaps
> when the cable box's firewire output is active, the input to the
> PVR500 for digital cable gets disabled?  Or vice-versa?

Currently each "input" (which includes a firewire capture) is assumed to
have exclusive access to the STB on which it relies.  There's not yet a
way to make an input's use dependent upon whether or not another input
is in use, but there have been many threads discussing exactly that
change (and, to date, no code).

See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/226134#226134 and
the rest of that thread.  Although the thread was asking for the inverse
(capturing multiple channels from the same input), it's the same problem.

Mike