[mythtv-users] How much horespower for frontend?

James Kaufman jmk at kaufman.eden-prairie.mn.us
Thu Sep 28 04:46:25 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 11:49:07AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2006, at 11:22 AM, Jason wrote:
>
> I agree that it *should* work for SD.
>
> Forgive me for not having read every message in this thread, what
> mobo chipset are you using? If it's a VIA chipset you may be a victim
> of the infamous IVTV/DMA problems that some of those early boards
> had. Unfortunately, if that's the problem, I have no solution to
> offer other than replacement.

I have a VIA chipset and these are my hdparm results:

[root at mythtvbe ~]# hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
Timing cached reads:   1208 MB in  2.00 seconds = 603.10 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:  192 MB in  3.02 seconds =  63.61 MB/sec

Are the cached reads too slow? I've seen others post numbers twice as
large. My SD recordings are mostly good. I don't do HD with this
setup.

--
Jim Kaufman
Linux Evangelist