[mythtv-users] [OT] DRM (was Re: Yellow Dog 5.0 with PS3 as a front end?)

Aaron Howard archanoid at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 14:19:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 18:58 -0600, Chad wrote:
> On 10/17/06, Aaron Howard <archanoid at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 10/17/06, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > DRM isn't all that bad in itself...
> > [snip]
> > > I think that encrypting video discs is a horrible idea and only
> > > goes to screw the innocent consumer in the end.
> >
> > Does. not. compute.
>
> DRM in itself isn't bad.  DRM on video discs = bad.

What is inherently different about DRM on video discs that separate it
from audio discs, data discs, downloaded and/or broadcast content?
Nothing, that's what.  ALL DRM is a horrible idea and only goes to screw
the innocent consumer in the end.

DRM is not about copyright violation; it is about maintaining control of
the distribution channel itself, regardless of content.  This is
monopoly maintenance.  Shoving technology that no consumer actually
wants or is asking for down our throats to prop up a failing business
model.

And in the words of Forrest, Forrest Gump: That's all I have to say
about that.

-Aaron