[mythtv-users] Yellow Dog 5.0 with PS3 as a front end?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 20:39:38 UTC 2006

> Sorry, but I disagree.  DRM in itself *IS* bad.
>
> Piracy is bad also, but DRM doesn't stop piracy.  It only delays it.
>
> When I got into computers in the early 80s, software came on floppies
> that were copy-protected.  We didn't call it DRM yet.  One of  the
> best was the original Wizardry games.  Using an obscure method on
> Apple ][s called "spiral tracking," they actually wrote part of a
> "contiguous" data stream on track n **-> between track n and n+1 <-**
> and track n+1.  Guess what.  It was cracked.  Pirates got the game
> without paying for it.  Honest souls who bought the game legally
> couldn't back it up and when their floppies died they had to buy it
> again, become pirates or were screwed.
>
> DVDs have DRM.  Guess what.  DeCSS exists.  Pirates get the content
> without paying for it.  Honest souls who buy software/movies legally
> can't back them up or use them with open solutions (like Myth) without
> (in falsely claiming to be free Amerika) becoming criminals.
>
> BluRay will have DRM.  Guess what.  It will be cracked.  I think you
> see the pattern.
>
> DRM doesn't work.  It doesn't stop the bad guys.  It hurts your real
> customers.  That makes it bad.  100%.
>

> DISCLAIMER:  Although I live under the Amerikan regime, the only DVD
> drive I own is in my laptop which runs the pre-installed Windoze XP
> and all legal software.

Maybe my definition could be expanded to say that DRM on "media" is
bad, but I'm sure if I thought long enough I could even come up with
an example where I don't agree with that completely.

Anyway...

DRM is a form of encryption.  It makes it so that when 2 devices talk,
they know they are talking securely to each other (completely wrong,
but good illustrated-for-dummies example).  Using DRM *for good* is
not a bad thing, using DRM to ensure satellite A is talking to actual
Satellite B and not accidentally to Sattelite C (which happen to be
controlling, oh maybe some Nuke's) is a "Good Thing".

That's what I mean.  DRM in itself is not a bad thing, and if used
correctly or in the correct situations, it's got good intentions.
When Sony uses DRM to keep me and David from ever making copies of our
own legit media or even from simply playing it back on a Linux
machine, that's where DRM is bad.

So, as I said before, DRM by itself is not a bad thing.

Not wanting DRM/CSS/Encryption/Stupid-hurdles-for-using-our-own-media
is perfectly understandable and yes, it would be in our best interest
to let Sony et al know that they are not targetting the market with
it's full potential if Linux users can't watch movies on their OS
(mostly for lack of other options).

-Chad