[mythtv-users] Possible to run this setup?

Christian Güdel me at blaue0.net
Thu Oct 5 19:27:11 UTC 2006

Hi,

> > I don't want to run VLC/Mplayer/whatever to have PiP. You
> > misunderstood me. I want to run the mythtv frontend *without* XvMC
> > enabled (I'm only playing back SDTV there). The only place I want to
> > use VLC/Mplayer/whatever is in mythvideo, where I play back some HD
> > content. Would this setup work? Or is XvMC global per display and it
> > doesn't matter weather an application uses it?
>
> Sorry about the confusion.  That will probably be fine playing back
> SDTV without XvMC, and in that case, you could then use PiP, though I
> don't know if while using PiP you'd max out your CPU then (I would
> guess you might).

Well, I'm using a PVR-500 card, and I think the Athlon XP 1800+ should
be capable of just *displaying* 2 MPEG streams at about 3 mbit/s? It
doesn't do any commercial flagging etc, as far as I understand the
server/client architecture of mythtv this is all done on the backend
which is an AMD64 3200+ system.

Do you think the frontend will run with 256 MByte RAM too?

> Understandable!  Nobody wants to be told how to watch TV :D  One of
> the reasons for doing a mythbox is to have TV on your terms.  I was
> just describing the hypothetical outcome of long term DVR use.  I
> think even your parents will eventually stop using PiP when they start
> to see how the DVR will make watching 2 shows easier; just my
> hypothesis ;)

They mainly use PiP to notice when the commercials finished ;-)
> -Chad

Christian.