[mythtv-users] Possible to run this setup?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 18:13:04 UTC 2006

> Well, the system would be driven by an Nvidia 6200 with 256 Mb of RAM.
> So this card is probably capable of running XvMC.

Yes, that would work.

> I don't want to run VLC/Mplayer/whatever to have PiP. You
> misunderstood me. I want to run the mythtv frontend *without* XvMC
> enabled (I'm only playing back SDTV there). The only place I want to
> use VLC/Mplayer/whatever is in mythvideo, where I play back some HD
> content. Would this setup work? Or is XvMC global per display and it
> doesn't matter weather an application uses it?

Sorry about the confusion.  That will probably be fine playing back
SDTV without XvMC, and in that case, you could then use PiP, though I
don't know if while using PiP you'd max out your CPU then (I would
guess you might).

> Well, this is one feature my parents like the most, so I probably
> cannot remove it.
>
> Christian.

Understandable!  Nobody wants to be told how to watch TV :D  One of
the reasons for doing a mythbox is to have TV on your terms.  I was
just describing the hypothetical outcome of long term DVR use.  I
think even your parents will eventually stop using PiP when they start
to see how the DVR will make watching 2 shows easier; just my
hypothesis ;)

Good luck!

-Chad

--
Prebuilt HDTV capable systems at reasonable prices:
http://www.pauselivetv.com