[mythtv-users] Possible to run this setup?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 19:47:36 UTC 2006

On 05/10/06, Christian Güdel <me at blaue0.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > I don't want to run VLC/Mplayer/whatever to have PiP. You
> > > misunderstood me. I want to run the mythtv frontend *without* XvMC
> > > enabled (I'm only playing back SDTV there). The only place I want to
> > > use VLC/Mplayer/whatever is in mythvideo, where I play back some HD
> > > content. Would this setup work? Or is XvMC global per display and it
> > > doesn't matter weather an application uses it?
> >
> > Sorry about the confusion.  That will probably be fine playing back
> > SDTV without XvMC, and in that case, you could then use PiP, though I
> > don't know if while using PiP you'd max out your CPU then (I would
> > guess you might).
>
> Well, I'm using a PVR-500 card, and I think the Athlon XP 1800+ should
> be capable of just *displaying* 2 MPEG streams at about 3 mbit/s? It
> doesn't do any commercial flagging etc, as far as I understand the
> server/client architecture of mythtv this is all done on the backend
> which is an AMD64 3200+ system.
>
> Do you think the frontend will run with 256 MByte RAM too?

I used to run a 1.3GHz Celeron w/256MB RAM as a slave BE/FE with 2
DVB-T cards and a PVR-150, with no problems dispalying the MPEG-2
recordings using a Radeon 9000 card using Xv,even whilst recording 2
streams at the same time. Full-screen MPEG-2 can be decoded on a
450MHz PentiumII.

Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/