[mythtv-users] Enabling XvMC

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Nov 24 22:34:32 UTC 2006

nik gibson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've almost got a working HD config, my last hurdle is enabling XvMC.  I
> have an Nvidia GeForce 6200 card and glxinfo output shows:
>
> direct rendering: No
> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
>
> I've read and tried everything.  I have a /etc/X11/XvMCConfig file which
> contains the one line (with no spaces) libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1
> I've used every possible option in my xorg.conf and I've gone through the
> libraries to verify they point to the proper Nvidia files.  What else can I
> check to enable XvMC?  It's definitely not working at the moment, even on a
> 3Ghz P4 machine I get the occasional stutter when playing HD.
>
> My xorg file is attached:
>
> # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
> # nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister at builder3)  Wed Nov  1
> 19:47:17
> PST 2006
> # Xorg X server configuration for HDTV
> # by Jarod Wilson
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>        Identifier     "Default Layout"
>        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Files"
>
> # RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of
> the
> # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
> # no need to change the default.
> # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
> # By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
> # the X server to render fonts.
>        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
>        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
>        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions"
>        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
>        FontPath     "unix/:7100"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
>        Load  "dbe"
>        Load  "extmod"
>        Load  "fbdevhw"
>        Load  "glx"
>        Load  "record"
>        Load  "freetype"
>        Load  "type1"
> #       Load  "dri"
>        Load  "v4l"
> EndSection
  I;m quite sure that you need dri working in order to get xvmc to work.
At least that is true on a via board.

You will have to parse out why dri does not load, if that was the reason
for the comment-out.
You may have a /dev/dri problem on load, which gets fixed with a udev
entry. The place to look for info is Xorg.o.log, not dmesg.

And NOTE: xine must be compiled with a patch in order to use xvmc (and
xxmc I think, but I'm not sure about the latter).

And mplayer too I sorta kinda think...nor sure.

But when you do get dri working, your glxgears numbers will jump by a
factor of 8 to 10.

Geoff